Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Day 6: The wonders of Mishindie

Many years ago I got to know an Australian named Misha. We connected over love for music, old movies and quirky stuff. Since then we've been in contact, sometimes a little bit, sometimes a lot, but we really reconnected during the spring this year. And part of that was sending tonnes of music back and forth. Misha, being an indie queen, sent me all sorts of indiepop and I sent her more electronic things. And while it is a tad unnerving how much better than me she knows Swedish indiepopbands, I've found myself loving a lot of her recommendations.



My favourite Mishindie comes in three distinct flavours. There is the updated 60s girlpop, there's the fuzzy shoegaze/noisepop and then there's the 80s flavoured variety. My Favourite (who obviously formed pre-Google) goes for all out 80s love. New Order and The Smiths meet under the burning mushroom cloud of Hiroshima. Insanely strong song, amazing lyrics and there are at least 4-5 other My Favourite tunes of this calibre.



The School (whose Loveless Unbeliever will rank very high on my Best Albums of ´10 list) go for updated 60s girlband. And do is splendidly. I Want You Back might have my favourite chorus of the year.



So logically the third song would come from the noisepop. The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart aren't that noisy though, despite loads of layers, feedback they're more like a John Huges movie than anything else. Dreamy recollections of teenage joy and life.



The Blanche Hudson Weekend is both proper noisepop *and* 60s girlband revival! One of the better mutations of the "Be My Baby" beat and the simple line "I could have been your baby, but now I want you dead" would make this a perfect soundtrack to some 60s exploitation flick. Preferably in black and white.



Speaking of movies, Linda Linda Linda is the kind of film that makes me believe in life, music, happiness and Ramones-inspired punkpop! It might, in fact, be my favourite music movie. Some of that comes how deftly it avoids the cliches but also from the 4 actresses actually playing the songs themselves, and doing a pretty decent job of it. Like this Ramonesy popsong.



And finally Wild Nothing's dreamy dreamy "Live In Dreams". For some reason I keep thinking of a kent song every time I hear this. Odd, as kent could never be this light and breezy. So that'd be my six favorite Mishindie songs. Even though Trailer Trash Tracys deserve an honorary mention.

No comments:

Post a Comment